Dental crowns and bridges can help transform your smile and restore function to your mouth. A dental crown restores a tooth’s shape, size, and strength. It fully encases the visible portion of your tooth or dental implant. Once there is a permanent bond in place, only a dentist or specialist can remove it. With proper care and good oral hygiene, the life of a crown can range from 5 to 15 years. If you pick a natural tooth-colored porcelain crown, our Ellis Dental treatment gives patients a complete permanent crown in just one office visit. Other types of crowns require two office visits.
The Dental Crowns and Dental Bridges Fort Worth, TX Residents Need
You might need dental crowns and bridges because of the following:
- Restore and protect a tooth that is decaying, cracking, or breaking
- Protect and support a tooth after a very large filling or root canal treatment
- Cover a dental implant
- Hold a dental bridge or other prosthetic device in place
- Improve your smile by covering a misshapen or severely discolored tooth
Types of Dental Crowns Fort Worth, TX Offers
Your Dentist will recommend the best type of crown for your dental restoration needs based on the chewing placement and structure of the tooth or implant that requires protection. There are three types of crowns. Each type has its own characteristics and qualities:
Porcelain is attractive, strong, stable, and highly resistant to wear. It offers a high level of biocompatibility because it does not contain metal.
A porcelain crown provides the best natural color match to the rest of your teeth and is an excellent choice for front teeth. The aesthetic quality of a porcelain crown requires that the dentist be highly skilled.
Metal offers strength and endurance. A metal crown may be recommended for back teeth where the forces of biting and chewing are the greatest. A metal crown rarely chips or breaks. In addition, it requires minimal removal of tooth structure.
A gold or other high-noble metal crown offers biocompatibility. A base metal crown is often the least expensive treatment option; however, it lacks biocompatibility and may cause allergic reactions or gumline discoloration.
Porcelain-fused-to-metal offers the benefits of a natural surface color that resembles the rest of your teeth combined with the strength of a metal substructure.
While there are several advantages to selecting this type of crown, it requires the removal of more tooth structure than other types of crowns. This means that there is greater potential for patient discomfort during the treatment procedure.
After a thorough exam of your teeth, gums and supporting bone structure, your dentist will discuss treatment options with you and answer your questions. If the agreed upon-treatment is a dental crown, your dentist will apply a local anesthetic to prepare your tooth or dental implant.
If the treatment of choice is a porcelain crown, there are many treatment methods available:
- Ellis Dental: In just one office visit, you will have a fully completed porcelain crown. Since we design and create your crown in our office using Ellis Dental technology, there’s no need for a temporary crown or a second visit.
- Lava™: When the highest level of natural translucency of your crown’s porcelain surface is important, this procedure is used. During your first office visit, Ellis Dental technology is used to design your crown. Then you will be fitted with a temporary crown to protect your gum and tooth or dental implant. During a second office visit, your dentist will fit and permanently bond your crown.
Metal or Porcelain-Metal
After we prepare and shape your tooth or dental implant for a crown:
- A putty-like material is used to make an impression of your prepared teeth. Your crown will be fabricated for a precise fit based on this impression.
- You will be fitted with a temporary crown to protect your tooth/implant and gums until your permanent crown has been fabricated.
- During a second office visit, your dentist will fit your permanent crown and bond it to your tooth or dental implant.
Dental Crowns and Bridges
- Fort Worth
- Haltom City
- River Oaks
- Sansom Park
- Westworth Village
- Westover Hills
- Fort Worth Stockyards Station
Dr. Patel and his team make it painless to have the most aesthetically pleasing dental crowns and bridges to give you the best smile you could ask for. To request an appointment with us, call today 817.760.2746.